USLEAP campaigns to support banana workers who are fighting against a race to the bottom and seeking fair wages, decent benefits, justice and dignity.
USLEAP has successfully:
- Campaigned for a path-breaking 2001 worker rights agreement between Chiquita and its unions;
- Won (some) justice for Del Monte banana workers who were violently attacked in Guatemala;
- Won compensation for and rehiring of Dole and Bonita workers in Ecuador;
- Organized sign-on letters to Dole and Chiquita;
- Testified before the U.S. Trade Representative on Del Monte abuses;
- Met with Ecuadorian banana magnate Alvaro Noboa after he brought in thugs to attack his own workers;
- Organized fact-finding delegations to Ecuador, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Colombia;
- Led U.S. participation and co-sponsorship of a 2005 International Banana Conference;
- Secured financing for strategic planning workshops for banana workers;
- Co-sponsored production of a special report on labor violations in Dole operations around the world, and more.
For more information, visit usleap.org.