Senior Development Officer
Location: Washington, D.C.
Application deadline: January 29.
Job status: Full-time, exempt, 12-month term position. Position term may be extended, funding permitting.
International Labor Rights Forum (ILRF) (www.laborrights.org) works for a world where everyone is free from child labor, forced labor, and discrimination; a world where workers have the power to speak out and organize to defend and advance their rights and interests; and a world where workers have the right to form unions and bargain collectively to secure a safe and dignified life for themselves and their families.
The Cotton Campaign (www.cottoncampaign.org) is a global coalition of labor, human rights, investor and business organizations dedicated to ending forced labor in the cotton sector in Uzbekistan.
Together we seek a visionary storyteller, with stellar financial acumen, who will create meaningful, authentic and long-lasting connections between the complementary ILRF and Cotton Campaign missions on the one hand and those who seek to support worthy causes on the other. Convince us of your extraordinary ability to develop generous supporters. Join us to realize our missions with the financial support needed.
The Senior Development Officer will report to the Executive Director and liaise closely with the Cotton Campaign Coordinator.
- Dedicate 50% time to fundraising for the Cotton Campaign, including campaign work by all key cotton campaign member organizations, with a priority focus on capacity development for Uzbek partners, and 50% time to fundraising for other ILRF programs
- Develop communications tools, concept notes and proposals for potential donors in collaboration with the fundraising committee for Cotton Campaign and with ILRF staff for other programs
- Develop, coordinate and implement all aspects of ILRF’s fundraising strategy
o Work with the Executive Director and staff to connect program strategies to funder interests; identify funders; develop, write and edit grant proposals; and build relationships with funders
o Coordinate, supervise, and track deadlines for ILRF grant reporting and proposal renewal applications
o Oversee planning and implementation of ILRF’s annual fundraiser event and other donor events
o Develop a major donor program, coordinate relationship-building with major donors, coordinate both electronic and hard-copy appeals and build ILRF’s monthly sustainer program
o Grow support from institutions, including unions
o Report on fundraising progress to the ILRF Board of Directors and coordinate the Fundraising Committee
o Manage ILRF’s fundraising database, tracking and acknowledgement system
o Work with the ILRF Director of Finance and Administration to help manage ILRF organizational finances and compliance requirements
- Coordinate the Cotton Campaign fundraising committee to develop and ensure the collaborative implementation of the campaign fundraising strategy:
o Identify opportunities, draft grant proposals and build funder relationships
o Remain up-to-date on campaign activities through regular meetings with the Campaign Coordinator and by meeting with key partners and allies as well as potential funders in Europe and North America
o Monitor and research relevant requests for proposals from the funding agencies of the European Union, United States Government, other governments, and private foundations
o Manage grant proposal development by gathering the project concept, activities and resource needs from the Fundraising Committee and working with the Committee to construct the narrative and budget proposals in accordance with all instructions of the targeted funder
o Meet with and arrange meetings for the campaign steering committee members, ILRF Executive Director and staff with current and potential funders
- Successful track record of securing funds from government agencies in the European Union, U.S. government and private foundations
- Excellent grant writing and editing skills
- Experience fundraising for labor rights advocacy programs
- Fluency in English; knowledge of Russian and/or Uzbek helpful
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to prioritize work effectively and to follow tasks through to completion
- Self-motivated and collegial
- Excellent judgment and decision-making
- Workload management and ability to multi-task and switch gears on short notice when priorities change
- Computer proficiency in MS Office software including Word and Excel; familiarity with Salsa or another constituency management system helpful
ILRF has a generous benefits package. The salary for this position will depend on experience.
How to apply: Please submit your resume, cover letter, and fundraising writing sample to employment [at] ilrf.org.
ILRF is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and persons with diverse gender and sexual identities.
This description does not constitute an employment contract, implied or otherwise.
We welcome inquiries for federal work-study positions and from students receiving funding or credit from their universities or through Fulbright or similar programs. Please email internships [at] ilrf.org (subject: enter%20position%20title%20here%20%2B%20first%20name%2C%20last%20name) with:
- A letter indicating why you are interested in interning at ILRF and your areas of interest and skills, how many hours per week you are available and for how many months, whether you are applying for a federal work-study or other position, and whether you are located in Washington, DC or in a different city
- Your resume / CV
- A copy of any of the following that you have produced, as relevant to your inquiry: research paper, published article, campaign-related writing, graphic design sample, or video
- If you are indicating language fluency in your application, then please include a writing sample in that language in addition to your English writing sample
Internship positions are customized based on interns' interests and experience. These are some of the skills that we seek in interns:
- Excellent writing skills
- Corporate research
- Legal research
- Qualitative research
- Quantitative research
- Graphic design
- Web design
- Publications layout
- Video production and editing
- Data entry
- Attention to detail
- Professional phone demeanor
- Native-level fluency and professional-level writing skills in Bangla, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, or Uzbek.